[VIDEO] VEGAN – Spicy black bean burger
Put some spark into your evening with this spicy bean burger
If you like spicy food, you’ll love these burgers. And guess what? They only take around 30 minutes to prepare and cook. You’ll get 6 servings if you follow the recipe, so you can keep these handy for a quick evening meal throughout the week. Or if you’re like me, you can attempt to eat them all in one sitting. Fabulous either way!
Even if you’re not a big fan of spice, I’d still highly recommend these burgers – just go easy on the jalapenos & chilli powder. If nothing else it’s an easy way to get black beans into your diet, which is great since:
- They help to maintain healthy bones (full of iron and calcium).
- They contain Selenium which is thought to prevent inflammation.
- They’re high in fibre and help with digestion.
Take a look at the recipe below.
- 1/2 chopped yellow onion
- 4-6 garlic cloves
- 15 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup quick cook oats
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs*
- 1-2 jalapenos diced
- 1/2 cup corn
- 2 tbsp spicy brown mustard
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce or Tamari
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- pinch of salt and pepper plus more for topping
- 6 burger buns
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS: lettuce tomato, onion, spinach, jalapenos, banana peppers, BBQ sauce, vegan ranch, etc.
- Add onion and garlic to a small pan over medium heat with 1 tbsp. of water. Saute until veggies start to soften.**
- Scoop cooked veggies into a blender or food processor and pulse 2-3 times until combined, but not total mush.
- Add beans to a large bowl and mash with a potato masher or fork until about half of the beans are mashed and the other half are still intact
- Add onion and garlic mixture to the bowl as well as remaining ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Form mixture into 6 balls and flatten into patties.***
- Place patties on baking sheet and put in the freezer for at least an hour. If you are going to eat them right away, heat a pan over medium heat. Coat with non-stick spray and add frozen patties.
- Cook until browned and warmed through (about 6-8 minutes per side).
- Serve on a burger bun, in a wrap or over a salad with your favourite toppings.
- If you plan to store the patties for later: remove baking sheet from the freezer after an hour and cut parchment paper into squares. Stack patties on top of each other (with a piece of parchment paper between each patty) and place in freezer proof container.
- When ready to serve, follow cooking instructions above – no need to thaw patties
Watch the video: