Is heinz ketchup vegan?
Yes, you’ll be glad to know Heinz ketchup is vegan. Their ketchup products (generally speaking) do not contain sugar, and therefore bone char, so even the strictest vegan can feel comfortable with Heinz.
Whats in Heinz ketchup
We were unable to find an ingredients list on the official site, but found the following information on Amazon (where the product is being sold):
- TOMATO CONCENTRATE FROM RED RIPE TOMATOES
- DISTILLED VINEGAR
- HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP
- CORN SYRUP
- ONION POWDER
- NATURAL FLAVORING
I’ve heard ketchup is not vegan, is it true?
Partially. Some ketchups are vegan whereas others aren’t. This mostly comes down to two things:
- Whether they contain sugar.
- And if they do, whether the ketchup is organic or not.
You might be surprised to hear sugar is not vegan, but it’s often the case that non-organic sugar contains bone char which is an animal product. So when you buy your ketchup either:
- Stick to Heinz (they use corn syrup and sweeteners instead)
- Stick to organic ketchup.
- Check the ingredients and avoid products with sugar.
If you’re interested, we’ve went into more detail on the subject in our is ketchup vegan post.